Skip to main content

Locating Evaluation

This unit contained two separate parts, the first part was the I-DOTT live brief. This I found intriguing and exciting as I have never been set the task of a live brief before. To begin with my initial action was to as usual research into the theme of geometric design. I explored the many different ways of presenting a geometric pattern, it’s origins and modern form. I enjoyed researching the work of Escher and his diminishing tessellations. This art form is shapes closely fitted together in a repeated pattern without gaps or overlapping. Looking at my collection of designs I can see the origins of geometric design within my work. A good example of this is the sample below. This design is created using a motif from my drawings then formed into a digital print. Inspiration was definitely taken from a photograph in my visual research area. 







Echer's geometric art work was made up of more intricate designs. I found his designs of bright bold prints such as the one below really interesting and detailed and although I didn't produce any designs similar to this I do like the use of his bold colours. 



The second part of the unit involved a self initiated brief, requiring me to complete a learning agreement, adhering to time management, intentions and final collection. This agreement did help structure the second part of the unit, keeping me on track to complete the task. 




I decided for this brief to use the theme of architecture to inspire my designs. Using this as a focus point, I concentrated on the shadowing and the different tones of colouring and how this can visually make a 2D image look 3D. 


During my journey with both briefs I have found time management important as I needed to find a balance between both units. It was critical that I kept to my time schedule for the first half so I was able to give full attention to the second half when it was introduced. I feel my self directed brief could of had more potential with more time given. I wanted to experiment more to find the best achieved outcome, but felt pushed for time at the end. When printing my final collections in the university library I had problems with the printer. Some of my designs were printed with distorted and colour inaccuracies. 

In conclusion I have found this unit on the whole enjoyable but difficult at times. A selection of my collection I am pleased with, although I feel there are areas for improvement. One area I was satisfied with was my colour schemes. The bright vivid colours in both units complimented the prints and were relevant to my target audience. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of Unit Review

At the beginning of this project I was asked to produce approximately a hundred object drawings. Although I find drawing enjoyable I have found some of the more complex work rather challenging and, on occasions, have lacked confidence when trying to create a piece to a high technical standard. The assignment has highlighted that drawings can be produced not only in pencil but from different medias such as paints, charcoal and ink, incorporating various textures and styles. The sheer quantity of drawings required helped to greatly improve my sketching technique. I chose fabrics suitable for a range of interior products such as cushions, bedding, lamp shades and blinds, including heavy weight cotton and polyester. The pigment colours and effects produced varied on different fabrics. I have used many digital prints within my collection, as I felt they integrated well and complimented each other. I have found using my sketch book very beneficial when planning prints from conceptio

Sampling Update

Mid - week review Reflecting on my work so far, I am not feeling as confident as I would like at this point. I need to broaden my samples through experimentation with different techniques, including foiling and puff binder. After a constructive one to one session with one of my tutors, I now feel more confident in the direction I wish to follow and I am looking forward to trialling new techniques and producing a strong collection.  The unit demonstrates that often the more simplistic drawing proves the most effective in print. Further more these designs are often the ones that I am most attracted to. Throughout this unit I have discovere d that samples do not need to be made up from one sole media, but are in fact stronger and have more impact if they are a combination of different medias.  I am motivated to work independently, however I feel I have benefitted from the guidance of my tutor at times, which has given me more confidence and ideas to think about. By setting

Reflection on my work - Architecture

To create a good design, first comes visual research followed by sketches and finally evolving into a final outcome. Drawing is vital as it allows ideas to to be formed on paper for others to see. Without drawings visualising your ideas can be difficult.   Above are examples of basic mark marking drawings from the beginning of this project. Drawing can be created using various medias, here I have used a simple fine liner and marker pen. The figure on the right shows dark shaded areas which is my interpretation of there shadowing on buildings. I will further develop the shadings and shadows into my drawings.  For this project I have decided I want my colour scheme to be bright and bold to attract attention and express a young, vibrant energy. Experimenting with block colouring of various shades or textured colours using different medias.  This design is a digital print formed using various block shapes and colours. It is a limited colour scheme encompassing o