Skip to main content

Reflection on my work - Architecture


To create a good design, first comes visual research followed by sketches and finally evolving into a final outcome. Drawing is vital as it allows ideas to to be formed on paper for others to see. Without drawings visualising your ideas can be difficult.

 


Above are examples of basic mark marking drawings from the beginning of this project. Drawing can be created using various medias, here I have used a simple fine liner and marker pen. The figure on the right shows dark shaded areas which is my interpretation of there shadowing on buildings. I will further develop the shadings and shadows into my drawings. 




For this project I have decided I want my colour scheme to be bright and bold to attract attention and express a young, vibrant energy. Experimenting with block colouring of various shades or textured colours using different medias. 



This design is a digital print formed using various block shapes and colours. It is a limited colour scheme encompassing only various shades of blue and green. I really like the simplicity of the colour scheme which is enhanced by the intricate design. I could really visualise this design on wallpaper on a feature wall. For my further work I intend to introduce more colours taken from my colour scheme. 

Inspiration was taken from the Gherkin building and my research into wallpaper already on the market to produce a sample design featuring bright colours and texture. This sample was produced using a mixture of gouache and acrylic paints in rich colours. I like the textured feel and look of the hand painted design. 

Another example of how my designs evolve from visual research to my own outcomes. 



When creating designs you should also consider the background of your art work. It is this that projects the main subject of the design into our focus. Often the background can be forgotten. A simple white background can help to bring designs to life. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of Unit Review

At the beginning of this project I was asked to produce approximately a hundred object drawings. Although I find drawing enjoyable I have found some of the more complex work rather challenging and, on occasions, have lacked confidence when trying to create a piece to a high technical standard. The assignment has highlighted that drawings can be produced not only in pencil but from different medias such as paints, charcoal and ink, incorporating various textures and styles. The sheer quantity of drawings required helped to greatly improve my sketching technique. I chose fabrics suitable for a range of interior products such as cushions, bedding, lamp shades and blinds, including heavy weight cotton and polyester. The pigment colours and effects produced varied on different fabrics. I have used many digital prints within my collection, as I felt they integrated well and complimented each other. I have found using my sketch book very beneficial when planning prints from conceptio

Sampling Update

Mid - week review Reflecting on my work so far, I am not feeling as confident as I would like at this point. I need to broaden my samples through experimentation with different techniques, including foiling and puff binder. After a constructive one to one session with one of my tutors, I now feel more confident in the direction I wish to follow and I am looking forward to trialling new techniques and producing a strong collection.  The unit demonstrates that often the more simplistic drawing proves the most effective in print. Further more these designs are often the ones that I am most attracted to. Throughout this unit I have discovere d that samples do not need to be made up from one sole media, but are in fact stronger and have more impact if they are a combination of different medias.  I am motivated to work independently, however I feel I have benefitted from the guidance of my tutor at times, which has given me more confidence and ideas to think about. By setting