Skip to main content

Reflecting on my work

At the Victoria and Albert museum I was particular drawn to the Japanese section. Within this area was housed a large collection of objects, clothing and historical documents. Giving an insite of Japanese culture and lifestyle from thousands of years ago to modern times. I was particularly drawn to the textile section where on display were many beautiful examples of silk embroidered kimonos. One of the kimonos I took a photograph of was embroidered with a beautiful intricate design of a flower, which I have re-produced in my own interpretation. I think my drawing works well and I am pleased with the final outcome which was achieved using pencil sketching and then water colour paints. the stem of the flower was created using a metallic bronze acrylic paint. This was to interpret the gold thread which was used to embellish and embroider the silk of the kimono. This drawing was taken from a zoomed in section of the kimono which I found interesting. 






An antique kimono on display at the V&A












My own interpretation of the image


The simple flower image could be reproduced to create a wallpaper or textile print. I have recently been researching William Morris, the designer influenced by nature and plant forms. His prints have inspired many designers and I feel looking at my image I have taken some inspiration from his previous work. 


One of the most repulsive but intriguing rooms at Tatton Park contained the trophy wall. Many animals heads and furs are dawned the wall with their cold glass eyes this is my interoperation of one of those animals. As I feel I am not a confident drawer I decided to do a very basic black and white image of the head, first using pencil to roughly sketch the outline and later adding black marker pen ands fine liner to complete the drawing. It is a basic print but I feel it is an abstract version of the original image. Weirdly the eyes give a cold stare as the original heads on the wall. 
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of Unit Review

At the beginning of this project I was asked to produce approximately a hundred object drawings. Although I find drawing enjoyable I have found some of the more complex work rather challenging and, on occasions, have lacked confidence when trying to create a piece to a high technical standard. The assignment has highlighted that drawings can be produced not only in pencil but from different medias such as paints, charcoal and ink, incorporating various textures and styles. The sheer quantity of drawings required helped to greatly improve my sketching technique. I chose fabrics suitable for a range of interior products such as cushions, bedding, lamp shades and blinds, including heavy weight cotton and polyester. The pigment colours and effects produced varied on different fabrics. I have used many digital prints within my collection, as I felt they integrated well and complimented each other. I have found using my sketch book very beneficial when planning prints from conceptio

Sampling Update

Mid - week review Reflecting on my work so far, I am not feeling as confident as I would like at this point. I need to broaden my samples through experimentation with different techniques, including foiling and puff binder. After a constructive one to one session with one of my tutors, I now feel more confident in the direction I wish to follow and I am looking forward to trialling new techniques and producing a strong collection.  The unit demonstrates that often the more simplistic drawing proves the most effective in print. Further more these designs are often the ones that I am most attracted to. Throughout this unit I have discovere d that samples do not need to be made up from one sole media, but are in fact stronger and have more impact if they are a combination of different medias.  I am motivated to work independently, however I feel I have benefitted from the guidance of my tutor at times, which has given me more confidence and ideas to think about. By setting

Locating - Reflection on my work

                               My portfolio of work for Geometric Patterns Here you can see my collection coming together. Through research I have taken inspiration from many different geometric patterns which have derived from Islamic, Indian and Celtic artwork. Many of these patterns can be seen frequently on sacred temples around the world. They are often printed on ceramic or used on printed fabrics. To achieve these many designs I used different forms of media and techniques. Focusing on Islamic geometric patterns I noticed similarity between the intricate designs and those achieved as a child using a Spirograph, a geometric drawing toy producing various intertwining and overlapping  curves. Other medias used were regular graph paper and dotted paper to achieve accurate designs. For my colour chart I have chosen vivid pictures that involve bright colours which I feel will work well with the geometric patterns to make them stand out.  Above are basic examples o