Skip to main content

Unit X Reflection

The beginning of the Unit X project seems a long time ago. At the start of the unit we were given free licence to do whatever we wanted as a designer. At first this seemed very exciting, not to be restricted to a certain brief and to choose our own way, however this in turn brought its own challenges. It was difficult to fully understand the objectives of the project, what exactly the brief entailed and what as a group and myself as an individual was to be achieved. We were a collective group of people all with differing views, our own personal design ideas and creativity. Ultimately, I now realise that was the objective of the unit, to bring together various individuals from different disciplines to complete a task and display the finished product. On reflection I feel working as a group provided a stimulating environment, allowing a team to collaborate and formulate ideas as a platform to build on. I feel my work has developed and evolved over this process. Much of my primary research was carried out during a recent trip to Palma, Mallorca. I found I was, as most artists are, inspired by the different surroundings around me, both the natural forms and man-made objects. Their structures, appearance, colour and texture inspiring the creative side of me. 
Below are a selection of images which I feel influenced my work.









My first sample did not go entirely to plan as I had cracked and squashed the dried flour too much, Therefore when the dye was applied it seeped through the material too much and did not create the crackle effect on the reverse side as expected. The subsequent samples I attempted with dylon dye again this time painting over it very lightly. Further samples did achieve the results on the back of the material which I was hoping for. The process is quite simple however, when I took pictures of the samples on both sides they looked impressive. I also experimented using acrylic, water colour and emulsion paint, the end results were a similar effect, however, the dylon dye was the most effective. I had managed to achieve the ‘crackle glaze’ effect of varying degrees on both sides of the samples. Although the print on the material is 2D, the overall visual appearance is a 3D textured effect. Influenced by Kintsugi ceramics I attempted to add embroidery to a sample, however it wasn't sucessful. A similar effect could be achieved by scanning the samples and using photoshop to add the gold line effect using it as a paint brush. The samples could ultimately be printed on various forms of material, also potentially a sublimation print could be experimented with.







I am satisfied with the materials I chose to use as I believe I ultimately achieved the desired effect. Primary research was an integral part of the process, helping consolidate my ideas and produce effective designs. The exhibition provided an opportunity to showcase our work in a more formal environment further instilling the need for regular communication and the pooling of ideas between group members. 

This project has given me a wider understanding of the different disciplines within textiles and has allowed the group, as a whole, to explore creativity with the aim to promote a professional work ethic, whilst meeting targets and improving our own practice. I am still not entirely comfortable speaking in public, however as the unit progressed, I began to grow in confidence during our meetings as a group and felt happy contributing and sharing my ideas which I considered relevant. Every member of the teams input was valued and considered with different disciplines proving beneficial to the overall project and end result.

On a personal level, an area of improvement for myself would be to gain more confidence in public speaking and presenting ideas. I feel this would benefit me greatly as I progress in my degree and in any future career within the industry. My motivation in this process was to achieve effective designs to further improve my practice, which I feel was a success.


On reflection it is now evident Unit X provides all students of varying disciplines within the context of textiles to promote individual ideas whilst working as a team to complete a given task, ultimately allowing a wider understanding of textiles in its entirety.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of Unit Review

At the beginning of this project I was asked to produce approximately a hundred object drawings. Although I find drawing enjoyable I have found some of the more complex work rather challenging and, on occasions, have lacked confidence when trying to create a piece to a high technical standard. The assignment has highlighted that drawings can be produced not only in pencil but from different medias such as paints, charcoal and ink, incorporating various textures and styles. The sheer quantity of drawings required helped to greatly improve my sketching technique. I chose fabrics suitable for a range of interior products such as cushions, bedding, lamp shades and blinds, including heavy weight cotton and polyester. The pigment colours and effects produced varied on different fabrics. I have used many digital prints within my collection, as I felt they integrated well and complimented each other. I have found using my sketch book very beneficial when planning prints from conceptio

Sampling Update

Mid - week review Reflecting on my work so far, I am not feeling as confident as I would like at this point. I need to broaden my samples through experimentation with different techniques, including foiling and puff binder. After a constructive one to one session with one of my tutors, I now feel more confident in the direction I wish to follow and I am looking forward to trialling new techniques and producing a strong collection.  The unit demonstrates that often the more simplistic drawing proves the most effective in print. Further more these designs are often the ones that I am most attracted to. Throughout this unit I have discovere d that samples do not need to be made up from one sole media, but are in fact stronger and have more impact if they are a combination of different medias.  I am motivated to work independently, however I feel I have benefitted from the guidance of my tutor at times, which has given me more confidence and ideas to think about. By setting

Locating - Reflection on my work

                               My portfolio of work for Geometric Patterns Here you can see my collection coming together. Through research I have taken inspiration from many different geometric patterns which have derived from Islamic, Indian and Celtic artwork. Many of these patterns can be seen frequently on sacred temples around the world. They are often printed on ceramic or used on printed fabrics. To achieve these many designs I used different forms of media and techniques. Focusing on Islamic geometric patterns I noticed similarity between the intricate designs and those achieved as a child using a Spirograph, a geometric drawing toy producing various intertwining and overlapping  curves. Other medias used were regular graph paper and dotted paper to achieve accurate designs. For my colour chart I have chosen vivid pictures that involve bright colours which I feel will work well with the geometric patterns to make them stand out.  Above are basic examples o